Sunday, November 29, 2015

Railroad Records - Found!

WOW!! I used the Genealogy Quick Look service to find my grandfather's railroad records.  He worked for the Chicago North Western Railroad in the 1940-50s.

Genealogy Quick Look provides an index to a portion of resources available through the Midwest Genealogy Center as well as inactive pension claims from the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board. Search the index by name and/or date. If you locate a resource, you will have an opportunity to request it from the source organization. 



First I reviewed the index using the Quick Look form (shown here).  Then I sent an email to the address indicated in the instructions. I received a reply within 2 days from Desiree an Archives Technician at NARA in Atlanta.   She gave me an option to receive the full file which was over 200 pages or an abbreviated version of each file and copy the 25 pages most relevant to genealogical research for $20.00 apiece. 



I chose the $20 file, and received it electronically 30 minutes after I called in my credit card info! (They also allow you to mail in a check and receive paper copies.)

I was amazed at the information that was supplied in the file.  Copies of death and birth records, medical reports, and other family related details. 

Thank you Mid-Continent Public Library and NARA!


No comments:

Post a Comment